Teacher: Miss Dando
TAs: Miss Gould and Miss Gunny
On Monday afternoons Mrs Adams teaches R.E and Mrs Guest teaches music. On a Wednesday morning Mrs Burton teaches French for a session mid-morning.
Class email: [email protected]
Autumn Term Dates:
- Wednesday 23rd October: TD Day
- Wednesday 24th October – Sunday 3rd November: Half Term
- Monday 4th November – Children back to school
- Friday 20th December – Christmas Holidays
Welcome back! We hope everyone had a happy and healthy holiday. Here’s an overview of the term ahead…
In English, we’re reading The Phantom and the Fisherman by Terry Deary and writing lots of narrative and non-fiction inspired by the book. For example, we will be writing our own chapter version of an Egyptian mystery and newspaper accounts linked to the story.
In Maths we’ll be learning lots more about:
- Number: Place Value
- Geometry: Properties of Shape
- Number: Addition and Subtraction
- Number: Multiplication and Division
In Science, we’ll be learning about human nutrition, focussing on how the digestive system works, types of teeth and why it is important to keep them healthy. We’ll also be learning about how to group living things and developing our understanding of food chains.
In History, our topic is the Ancient Egyptians and we’ll be working hard to answer our big question: ‘What was a typical day like for Menes?’ Each week we’ll be answering smaller, related questions like:
- Why did they build the pyramids?
- What gods did they believe in?
- Where did they live?
We’re currently organising an Egyptian-themed trip and visitor: more information to follow ASAP.
Art & DT
Art and DT are linked to our Egyptian topic. In art we will develop our observational and sketching skills. In D.T. we’ll explore the use of Canopic jars and why these were used, before creating our own using clay.
Our computing unit this term is ‘programming’, where we will be using code to make programs and improve these by ‘debugging’.
As always, we’ll think carefully about how to use computers and the internet safely.
In PE we’ll be learning lots more about dance, gymnastics and football.
- Indoor PE is on a Tuesday afternoon and Outdoor PE is on a Thursday afternoon, but we would like the children to have a PE kit available in school at all times please.
- Please ensure your child wears the correct kit, i.e. plain t-shirt and black or blue shorts etc. (please provide earring tape if your child’s earrings can’t be removed). We will do outdoor PE in all weathers, so please ensure your child has a coat that they can wear outdoors, a small towel, a plastic bag for trainers and a spare pair of socks for any outdoor sessions.
- Please label all of your child’s belongings.
Throughout the academic year, we’ll set English and maths homework every Thursday. Each task set should take no more than 20 minutes, and we expect it to be returned and completed the following Monday for marking please. The children will bring home their tasks, with instructions, in their homework folders.
Spellings will also be coming home on Thursday and tested the following Monday. Children will choose 6 words from our units to log in their log books and bring home to learn. This will alternate with a sheet that will have up to 10 spellings on that practices their frequency words for year 3/4 (we call these orange words as they are on orange cards).
We now also have Timestables Rockstars where the children will be set challenges to complete online each week.
As ever, do please continue to hear your child read daily and record it in their reading diaries. Children could also read independently at home too. Although, where possible, please take the time to discuss what they have been reading, as this promotes their comprehension skills.
We will be holding a meeting for all parents on Thursday 19th September at 3:30pm in Rowan Class to discuss this term in more detail.
We are all looking forward to an exciting term ahead!