Teacher: James Coomber
Teaching Assistants: Mary Miller, Mel Metcalfe, Cathy Hunt, Lynn Law
French teacher: Madam Burton
Music teacher: Mrs A.Guest
RE teacher: Ms. Adams
Welcome to the new school Year, let’s take a look at what is in store.
During the first part of the autumn term our learning challenge is “Why do people visit the Mediterranean?” We will be finding out where the Mediterranean Sea is. We will be describing the features and locating Mediterranean countries and their capital cities on maps. We will also be explaining how the lives of people living in the Mediterranean may be different to ours. As part of this topic, we will be exploring the kinds of foods eaten in Mediterranean countries – this includes a visit to Pizza Express!
Our questions include:
- Where is the Mediterranean and how do I get there?
- Which countries are in the Mediterranean>
- How big, deep and hot is the Mediterranean>
- Is pollution a problem?
- Are there any sea creatures?
- Are there any endangered sea creatures?
- Would I like it in the Mediterranean?
- What might I not like?
- What is the landscape like?
- What fruits and vegetables are grown in the Mediterranean?
- Why doesn’t everyone speak English and use the same money as the UK?
- What are the villages and cities like?
- What do people do who live there?
Throughout the academic year homework will be set on Tuesdays. Each task set should take no more than 20 minutes. It needs be returned the following Monday for marking please. These dates will be on the homework instruction sheet to avoid confusion.
Multiplication Tables and Spelling tests
As in Year 2, we will continue having a weekly multiplication tables test on Thursdays and we ask please that you assist your child in their learning of them. A knowledge of times tables facts is vital in enabling children to solve multiplication and division calculations quickly.
Our spelling work will follow a 2 weekly cycle and the children will bring spellings home to learn. These will be assessed on a Monday.
As ever, do please continue to hear your child read where and whenever possible. Please complete your child’s reading diary daily and send it back to school every day.
This year Outdoor PE will be on a Friday afternoon. We will aim to do PE no matter what the weather so please ensure your child has correct kit i.e. plain coloured t-shirt and black or blue shorts, trainers are preferred to daps for use on the field, spare pair of socks and warm jumpers/joggers. Please provide earring tape if your child’s earrings cannot be removed.
Swimming will be on a Monday morning, starting on 16th September.
For this the children will need:
Swimming costume (not board shorts as they fill up with water and make swimming difficult)
Swimming hat (if you have one)
A swimming bag – separate to school bag as it will contain wet clothes)
It will help us greatly if ALL PE kit is clearly named so that it can be readily returned if found.
Keep in touch:
For non-urgent messages email the class teacher: [email protected] (Mr. Coomber)
For urgent messages and general queries contact the school office: [email protected] Tel: 01225 700674
Some dates for your diary:
- 25th September 2019 - Visit to Pizza Express
- 21st October 2019 (3:30 – 6:00pm) - Parents evening
- 22nd October 2019 (5:30 – 8:00pm) - Parents evening
- 13th November 2019 - Visit by Explorer Dome
- 10th & 11th December 2019 (6:00pm) - Year 3 Christmas shows